Books Recommended by Tom & Sandy Farley
a First Day School Curriculum
By: Sandra Moon Farley, Diana Gail Egly, and Thomas Baxter Farley
published by Friends Committee on Unity with Nature [FCUN] Spring, 1998
ISBN 1-881083-03-9, comb bound, 8.5 X 11, 122 pages, $12.00 US. plus $3.50 postage and handling from
- 179 N. Prospect Street
- Burlington, VT 05401
Also available from FGC Bookstore in Philadelphia, Quaker Book Service, in Canada, Spontaneous Combustion in California, and Amazon.com.
Earthcare for Children emphasizes the spiritual basis of environmental awareness and action in a series of lessons for use in the religious education of children from kindergarten through sixth grade. Over one hundred activities are included along with suggestions of quotations, Bible passages, stories, and songs to enhance each of the thirteen chapters. Developed by members of Palo Alto Friends Meeting for use in Friends Meetings and Churches and Quaker Schools, the lessons are easily adaptable for use by other denominations that recognize a spiritual basis for environmental concerns. Many of the individual activities could also be modified for public school classrooms and outdoor education programs.
For more information on the curriculum process and contents, go to Earthcare for Children
Dry All Night
The Picture Book Technique that Stops Bedwetting
by Alison Mack
published by Little Brown and Co. in 1989
paperback -- list price $16.95
order Dry All Nightfor only $13.56 [20% off]
via this link to Amazon.com.
Part 1 gives parents the information need to understand sleepwetting and help a child cope with this condition.
Part 2 gives school-age children two illustrated picture stories [one for girls, one for boys] they can read and use all by themselves.
For guidance in using this book with children and teens, see our Sleepwetting Forum page on Visualization or Positive Imaging Exercises.
- "Dry All Night is a book for every parent--whether or not their kids wet their beds."--Dr. Michael Lewis, Professor of Pediatrics and Psychology and Chief, Institute for the Study of Child Development, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.
- "The act of reading this book will actually help the child overcome bedwetting. Dry All Night will also enhance the effectivness of other forms of therapy."--Dr. Jeffrey C. Weiss, Director, Pediatric Residency Program, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia.
- "In 35 years of practice, I don't remember seeing a book so meaningfully directed to parent and child."--Dr. Alan H.Finley, Professor of Ambulatory Pediatarics, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine.
- "What a marvelous idea--the book as the therapist!"--Dr. Edmund C. Burke, Professor of Pediatarics Emeritus, Mayo Clinic.
- "Dry All Night makes the child a partner in the process--an incentive to achieving the goal."--Dr. Sumner Marshall, Associate Clinical Professor of Urology, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco.
- "If you think bedwetting is a no-win problem, read this book. It's gentle, kind, and safe. Best of all, it works."--Dr. Larry Dossey, Chief of Staff, Humana Medical City Huspital, Dallas.
Kids Are Worth It
Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
by Barbara Coloroso
paperback published by Avon Books, 1994
list price $12.00
order Kids Are Worth It for only $9.60 [20% off]
via this link to Amazon.com.
Barbara Coloroso presents a spectrum of discipline styles ranging from brickwall families [parents determine all rules and punishments -- or expectations and consequences] to jellyfish families [parents don't know how to provide consistant guidance -- or are unable to.] Between these lie backbone families whose principles and process help children develop a personal guide to right and wrong. By encouraging kids to make decisions, take responsibility for their actions, take reasonable risks, and learn from their mistakes, Barbara Coloroso's approach shows how parents can teach their children inner discipline.
Of all the parenting books we have carried in our stores, Kids Are Worth It is the most consistant with our values and practices as Quaker parents.
The Puzzlemaster Presents 200 Mind-Bending Challenges from NPR
by Will Shortz
published by Times Books, 1996
Paperback, list price $12.00
order The Puzzlemaster Presents
for only $9.60 [20% off] via this link to Amazon.com.
[ more titles coming soon ]